top of page

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What time does school begin and end? What are the bell times?

The morning bell rings at 8:45am at which time the students are allowed into the cafeteria to get breakfast and go to their classroom. The formal school day begins at 9:00am.  Any students that are dropped off after 9:00am will need to be escorted to the office and signed in by a parent or guardian and will be marked TARDY. Dismissal bell is at 3:11. Students will not be released for early dismissal anytime after 2:50 p.m.

*The bell schedule for Pre-K is as follows:

AM – 8:45-11:20

PM – 12:40-3:11

What are the procedures when my child is tardy?

If your child is tardy you must escort your child to the front office. After 9:00am, students may not be just dropped off at the front of the school or in the parking lot and allowed to come in on their own. Parents will need to sign their child in for the day so that we can appropriately take attendance on each child. Please do not write a letter explaining why the child is late and send them in on their own. A parent or guardian must physically come in to the front office.

How do I apply for free lunch?

There is no need to apply for free lunch. ALL students attending Sister Bailey Elementary School will be eligible to receive a healthy breakfast AND lunch every day at no charge. If you have any questions about this free program, please contact the Food Service Department at 1-800-819-7556.

What if I want to bring in treats for my child's birthday?

Birthdays are fun and we want to recognize your child on their special day, but we must prioritize student learning so we will only share treats during the last 5-10 minutes of class.  On your child’s birthday, you may have your child bring in a healthy treat or a small treat bag to pass out. However, due to current health and safety guidelines, we can only accommodate individually-wrapped, store-bought treats.

What if I want to volunteer in my child’s classroom?

At this time, volunteers can support us from home or with donations. Please reach out to your child's teacher to ask how you can help. Thank you.

What if I want to walk my child to class each morning?

Due to current health and safety guidelines, this will not be allowed. Thank you for your understanding.

What if I need to set up a meeting with my child’s teacher?

We encourage parents to meet with their child’s teacher on a regular basis. Each teacher will provide you an email and a phone number where they can be reached. Please remember that during the school day the teacher will not be able to receive phone calls directly to their classroom phone line. During this time, you may call the office and be transferred to leave a message, have the office take a message which will be provided to the teacher, or e-mail the teacher. Please give the teacher at least 24 – 48 hours to return your message before reaching out again.

What if I need to get a message to my child during the day?

Unfortunately, as we cannot verify the identity of a parent or guardian over the phone, we are unable to deliver messages to students. Please make sure to make all arrangements with your child prior to the school day. If it is critical for you to get a message to your child, we will need you to come to the office with proper identification for us to relay that information to your child. Know that this is for the safety and security of your child.

What if I need to drop off a lunch, jacket or other material to my child during the school day?

You may drop an item off for your child during the day, but we will not call students down to the office to pick up the item as we are focusing on using every minute of our instructional time in the best way possible. If you do drop off an item, it will be placed in the mailbox of the teacher of your child and the teacher will get it when they stop by their mailbox. We strongly encourage our families to make a routine at home in which the parents and children make sure everything is in a designated place and ready for school the next day so items are not left at home.

Is my child eligible for transportation to school?

Go to and click “Check eligibility“. Students must be registered for school prior to receiving transportation services. Parents must complete the CCF-705 and check the box requesting transportation. If all information remains the same from year to year, it is not necessary to re-register a student for transportation.

What is CCSD's dress code?

All students are expected to wear proper attire to school in order to foster an environment that promotes learning. The school administration has the right to designate which types of clothing or appearance disrupt or detract from the educational program and may be a potential safety hazard. CCSD Regulation 5131 and Policy 5131 establish the guidelines for proper dress and for Standard Student Attire (see SSA topic.) Please also support us by ensuring students wear athletic shoes and attire for P.E. days.

What can be done for my child, who is learning English as a second language?

All CCSD campuses offer Content Based English Language Instruction. Students will be taught the English language while learning grade-level appropriate curriculum. Students new to the District will be initially assessed in their English language proficiency within the first 30 days of school, and ELL students are tested annually to measure English language growth. Depending on the campus, some schools have extended school days or before/after school programs to assist students in their learning of subject matter and English.

What information do I need to provide to register my child?

  1. One form of proof of address, such as a recent utility bill, rental/lease agreement, sales contract or mortgage statement. A driver’s license, telephone bill, and/or cable bill are unacceptable forms of address verification. If you are living with a friend or relative, a notarized letter, signed by the owner/renter stating that their address is your place of residence, is required. If you do not have this documentation because of a temporary or homeless situation, contact the Homeless Outreach Program Office at 702-855-6682.

  2. Personal identification (driver’s license, picture identification, etc.) of the parent/guardian, bearing his or her name.

  3. One proof of child’s identity (copies not accepted): original birth certificate, a passport, or a certified birth card issued by the Southern Nevada Health District or another health district. The Vital Records Office for children born in Clark County is located at the Southern Nevada Health District, 330 S. Valley View, Las Vegas, 702-759-1000.

  4. Student immunization record. Parent(s) must have records indicating that the child has had or has started specific immunizations [NRS392.435]. Students can enroll but cannot attend school if the immunization requirements are not met. (See Immunizations topic.)

What shots will my student need to start school?

NRS 392.435 mandates the following immunizations as a prerequisite to enrollment in school:

  • Two Hepatitis A doses

  • Three Hepatitis B doses

  • Four or Five DTP, DT, DTaP doses (diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus)

  • Three or Four polio doses

  • Two MMR doses (mumps/measles/rubella)

  • Two Varicella doses (chickenpox)

For 7th grade entry, one (1) TDaP dose required at 11-12 years of age.

Unless excused because of religious belief or medical condition, a child may not enroll/attend a public school without proper immunizations.

bottom of page